Essential Oils 101
ABOUT OUR ESSENTIAL OILSWe believe pure essential oils are exclusively made from botanical matter, and we cherish these essential oils for their beauty, and God-given purpose. All essential oils offered by Tammy’s Natural Essentials are of the highest quality available, to the best of our abilities, are truly genuine and authentic. This means nothing has been added or taken out. It also means that an oil is truly and exclusively from the plant that it claims to be. Our essential oils are of much higher quality than food grade oils, which are standardized and diluted to be made economically acceptable. We encourage you to handle essential oils with care and respect and always read the safety warnings that are on each one of our labels.
“And God said, behold. I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed’ to you it shall be for meat. 30“And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth. Wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat; and it was so.” [Genesis 1:29-30]
How to Use Essential Oils
Two Options: Inhalation & Application
- Essential oils are used in a variety of ways and include aromatherapy massage - where the oil is absorbed through the skin and inhalation where the essential oil molecules enter the bloodstream via the lungs as well as cross the blood-brain barrier.
- Essential oils are also used medicinally and taken internally, but this must NOT be undertaken by the layperson, but should only be done under the treatment and direction of a qualified medical practitioner.
If you have never used essential oils on your skin, it is advisable to perform a skin-patch test to check for any allergic reaction.
- Direct Inhalation from the bottle
- Tissue/Cotton ball inhalation
- Nasal inhaler tube
- Aromatherapy lockets
- Smelling salt
- Diffusion (Car, home or office)
- Salt/Sugar scrubs
- Foot or Bath soaks
- Room sprays
- Neat (undiluted) applications (small localized area) depending on the oil
- Shower drops/steam
- Massage oils
- Hot and Cold compress
A summary of the research findings, aromatherapy can help with:
- Affect and improve mood and increase overall emotional well-being
- Alleviate nausea
- Balance and adjust sleep patterns
- Boost the immune, respiratory and circulatory systems
- Increase alertness and overall performance
- Induce sleep or relaxation
- Reduce inflammation
- Reduce or alleviate stress and anxiety
- Reduce spasm, relax muscles
- Relieve aches & pain (headaches/migraines, muscle, & joints etc.)
- Stimulate blood flow
- And much, much more...
Essential Oil Safety Information
- We do not recommend the internal use of any Essential Oils or Absolutes. First, seek professional guidance from a qualified aromatherapist or health care professional.
- Never use essential oils as a substitute for necessary medical care. Always consult a qualified healthcare professional.
- Only the finest quality pure essential oils should be used in aromatherapy.
- Use less rather than more.
- Always keep all essential oils out of the reach of children.
- Do not use essential oils on or near the eyes.
- Do not apply essential oils neat ( undiluted) to the skin or mucous membranes. Know your oils, and which ones can be safely applied neat to a small localized area when needed. Seek professional guidance from a qualified aromatherapist.
- If any sort of skin rash develops, discontinue use. Try another oil.
For further information on using essential oils safely, we recommend the following books:
Schnaubelt, Kurt. Advanced Aromatherapy. Healing Arts Press, Rochester, VT, 1998. ISBN: 0-89281-743-7
Sheppard-Hanger, Sylla. The Aromatherapy Practitioner Reference Manual. The Atlantic Institute of Aromatherapy, Tampa FL, 1995. ISBN: 0-9643141-O-X
Tisserand, Robert. Essential Oil Safety. Churchill Livinstone, Edinburgh, 1995. ISBN: 0-443-05260-3